GeoTag: An OS X Application to tag photo locations
GeoTag is a free OS X application that allows you to update image metadata with geolocation tags by panning and zooming in a map window and then clicking on the location where a photo was taken. It is a good way to add location information to photos or fine tune existing location information.
Image file updates are performed using Phil Harvey’s ExifTool. This allows geolocation data to be modified an unlimited number of times with no image degradation as ExifTool modifies metadata without changing the image data. See http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/ for information regarding ExifTool.
GeoTag Version 4
Announcing GeoTag version 4.x
2017-11-16 — GeoTag version 4.0.23 is now available. This is a beta release of what will be GeoTag 4.1
New Features (4.0.23)
- Map Search is back using Apple maps
- Built in Exiftool updated to the latest version
- Pin placement bugs squashed. You can now pan or double click the map without dropping/moving pins
- Image backup handling revised
- Image loading in release 4 is many times faster
- Release 4 is sandboxed for better security
Version 4.0.23 download Requires Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) or later. The file is about 11 MB in size. Open the dmg file once downloaded and drag the GeoTag applicationto your Applications folder. Please read the included README file for notes about image backups.
Google Maps and GeoTag
Effective June 22, 2016 Google changed requirements for accessing maps. Access to Google Maps from 3rd party apps such as GeoTag was blocked in some places of the world until for a short while. I didn’t know if that would happen again. As a result GeoTag version 4 uses Apple maps.
GeoTag version 3 and earlier require you to download and install ExifTool. See the link, above.
Version 3.5.8 download Version 3.5 requires Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) or later. The file is about 3 MB in size. Open the dmg file once downloaded and drag the GeoTag application to your Applications folder.
Note: Full application help for version 3 is not yet implemented. A copy of the readme file is used, instead.
GeoTag 2 Icon
Version 1.8 download Version 1.8 runs on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) through Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan).
Please use the latest version that will run on your machine. Bug fixes and new features are not back ported to older versions of the software.
GeoTag source code is available on github [link]
- Aperture 3 and iPhoto ‘09 support “places”, built-in geotagging. GeoTag is not needed with these applications, but some may still find it useful.
- Due to the way Aperture, iPhoto, and Photos handle metadata geolocation changes using GeoTag must be made before the photos are imported into those applications.
- Please send bug reports, feature requests, or other comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
This demonstration was made with an earlier version of GeoTag. All versions operate in a similar manner.