Re: oilheads-digest V1 #47

On Sunday, Jan 4, 2004, at 16:40 US/Eastern, BAnder6125@xxxxxxx wrote:

snip.

> My Toyota MR 2 Spyder uses iridium plugs with coil on plug ignition,
> DOHC
> with bucket and shim valve adjustment and the 1st check  of valve
> clearance is
> at
> 60K mi. Don't understand why BMW can't be a little more up to date.

Your MR 2 is water cooled. Your R11RS is air/oilcooled and wider temp
swings than the MR 2. Because of this it will simply need more frequent
valve adjustments. Also the  oilhead uses pushrods not overhead cams as
the MR 2 does.

For BMW to get with he times they would have to use an overhead cam
design on the oilhead and for optimum performance and reliability they
would have to use a water-cooled engine.

Robert

95 R11RS
88 KRS Special