Do we HAVE to have two cylinders sticking out the sides? (was RE: old design was oilheads-digest V1 #47)

<<<-----Original Message-----
From: owner-oilheads@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-oilheads@xxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Clive Liddell

I know the word "pushrod" conjures up at least a 10" long thin, hollow weak
looking component of yesteryear... In our oilheads these rods are barely 1"
long>>>

	Please don't misunderstand me, I'm asking stuff cause I don't know. I want
to learn. Ok, first, isn't a pushrod a pushrod basically a pushrod?

<<< and serve to transmit a thrust and change of direction very
efficiently>>>

	But not as efficiently as SOHC and DOHC.

<<< and allows the cams to run in small pools of oil under them = instant
lube
as engine turns over. >>>

	I never heard this be a problem with SOHC or DOHC. You might have something
there. How big a plus is this concept design?

<<< Not to mention easy clearance adjustment (I have had to adjust a couple
of exhaust valves a fraction of a turn in 40000km)>>>

	Is it not as easy to adjust the valves on my 1989 Honda Civic with SOHC? I
haven't done the valve adjustment on my car yet (I need to get on that!) but
it looks like the same affair as the Oilhead... minus the pushrods.

<<< The bucket and shim and similar designs end up putting side thrust on
the valve stem itself, with obvious ill effect. >>>

	Again, I must point out the SOHC design on my Honda does not have this
issue. Is this side thrust a REAL important issue? Again, I'm only asking
cause I don't know. I like learning new stuff. I don't understand how those
Jap. sport bike go to 15K-RPM and don't instantly explode!

<<< Also, once having measured all the clearances, and referred to the
tables for the correction shim in each position then you have to dismantle
and remove the camshaft to actually change them. >>>

	The early K bikes have a tool to compress the spring to change the shims,
no? Don't know about the K1200.

<<< I do not like to disturb torqued components like cam bearings etc - Oh
don't forget to check all clearances after replacing and re-torquing
camshaft and so on.... >>>

	Now that IS a big headache. BUT... the bottom line is, do we HAVE TO have
two cylinders sticking out the side? These reliable torque engines still
only make (+/-) HALF the HP of a GSXR1000. Access to the engine you say...
how much more easy access does one want then an early K bike? I've heard you
can change the CRANK with the engine in place. I could be wrong on that last
point, but the point still is; do we HAVE TO have two cylinders sticking out
the side; cause that is the ONLY reason an Oilhead exists. The spring
compression tool is a bit of an investment (anyone know what that costs? I
could find out.) but I pay for a special tool to get a more efficient,
powerful motor.
	There are more powerful, more efficient, as easy to work on designs like
the early K bikes. The only other reason I can think of heat felt by the
rider from the motor, but there has to be a solution. Some say the new
series K bike has no heat problem. I've never rode one when it is real hot
out, so I don't know. The new FJR was a real winnie roster its first year,
but I heard a solution was coming out this year. I don't know what the
verdict was on that. Anyone know?
	I'm surprised there are not more bikes that are designed to be easy to
maintain/repair. I guess the whole chain drive, in-line four thing dictates
the motor position being less than ideal to work on, especially with a
fairing <yikes!>