RE: old design was oilheads-digest V1 #47

<<<-----Original Message-----
From: owner-oilheads@xxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-oilheads@xxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Robert Silas

I did not take part in this thread lately, because I spent
52 years as a
design engineer, although not in engine design.  I know how
many thoughts
and considerations, trial and error and re-trial and
re-design goes into a
project.

All what I read in this thread, I am sure, was considered by
the engineers
who came up with the Oilhead engine.
But not the engineer who has the final word, the
administration, the sales
and market research which are greatly govern a design. >>>

	Agreed. The chalk board was erased. Criteria One: two
cylinders sticking out the sides; a boxer engine. Two: has
to make a bit more power... and so on. All of the design
features had to make up for the ecstatic LOOK of a boxer
twin. The design engineers had to start of with a major
hurdle to jump once you wrote down that first criteria. They
did the best they could, but I wish K bikes would have
stuck, became more refined, cheaper if you got a naked one
and kept things easy to maintain. Oh and they'd HAVE to be
cooler on the rider. Can't the radiator be mounted behind
the rider somehow? Something should be addressed there... I
see two many riders in jeans.