From: owner-oilheads@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-oilheads@xxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of rennsport@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2004 12:07 PM
To: oilheads@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: old design was oilheads-digest V1 #47

If they don't "keep us happy" who's going to buy them?  My opinion of the cam in head design is that it was a brilliant compromise that allowed close to the performance of an overhead cam without substantially increasing the width of the engine.  If BMW went to overhead cams cornering clearance would be significantly compromised or the engine would have to sit so high that the low CG that most of us favor would be gone.

The next evolution of the boxer should include camless direct valve actuation either through high pressure hydraulics or solenoids.  I've read that Lotus has a working camless hydraulic system that operates on principles similar to fuel injectors.  No more chains, pushrods, rocker arms, or valve adjustments.  Different programs could completely alter the performance characteristics of the motor, from economy to stump puller to race bike.  Just insert the appropriate Valve Code Plug for your riding needs.