Re: Recent list discussions

> Member Andrew Johnson sent a post to the list about a new BMW GS. It was
> all about a RADICALLY new boxer engine, transmission and all kinds of
> new design features.

well that was an interesting read but, i would have to say my definintion of
a 'radically redesigned motorcycle' would be more closely defined by KTM's
990 Adventure.  that is what mfg risk taking is all about and that is what
risk taking produces.  can hardly wait to see the Duke and then the RC8.
this company knows how to roll the dice.

i also have to agree that bmw is not taking the historic base into
consideration with it's engineering and designs.  way too much has been
accomplished by mfg's around the world to ignore.  thats assuming you don't
have a roundel tattoo.  i assume that bmw is wed to the boxer and good for
them, it is a historically significant linkage that should be preserved.
that said, there is little to cheer about with new models.  the assisted
braking system is a case in point of engineering gone amuck.  transmissions
that don't work, wheels that bend when you look at them and surging that
does not exist are three small examples of their more recent engineering
failures.  combine that with a host of bits and parts that continue to fall
off or break and you have to wonder what has happened to a company who was
thought of by all as a sound engineering company who produced a stellar
robust product.

oh well, my dollars are invested elsewhere and i don't see that changing
given what bmw is producing.  ride what'yah got and be happy.

gt
or