Re: oilheads-digest V1 #68

Russ,
I did not take part in the ongoing discussions, but since you suggested,
here is a new topic:

I am asking all riding instructors and hotshot bikers: what would you do if
you see that an unavoidable collision is ahead of you???

1.)   If you still have time, would you induce a "lowsider" so you choose to
slide into the obstruction hanging onto the bike while the bike is skidding
on the end of the handle-bar, on the cylinder head and on the
saddle-box?????????
                                                   or
2.)   Would you just grab the bar and head into the object and hope for the
best????????

I have had three "lowsiders" since I began riding in 1946.   Two of those
happened with a KS600 boxer.  One of the two happened on an oil patch on
cobblestones in a turn.   The second one was on purpose at night, in pouring
rain when a bicyclist suddenly turned in front of me.  My speed was about
40-50 mph. when I just hit the rear brake.  I saved the cyclist's life and
probably my own too.
The third "lowsider" happened with a '94 RS at 50-60 mph. in a turn on
gravel spread on the surface.  The rear wheel spun out from under me.  I
escaped with a broken ankle.

3.)  The third question:   how would it be possible to do a lowsider, on
purpose, when you have ABS?????

The boxer saved my legs on all three occasions.  There is one drawback: in
such a case the bike tends to rotate on the cylinder head and lets the rider
fly off, maybe right into the obstruction.  However in a head-on collision,
the rider flies off the bike, straight, head on into the obstruction.

What could one or should one try to do in cases like that?????

Bob Silas
'94 R1100RS

> MY DELETE KEY IS ABOUT WORN OUT!  YES, I'M SHOUTING.  LET'S START AN OIL
THREAD, OR A TIRE THREAD, OR ANY DAMN THING!  Obviously the weather must
have effected you folks.