Re: rims

On 1/19/04 7:20 AM, James H. Nazarian, Ph.D. microdoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

> [...]

Just to add to what Jim said, if we look to the K1200RS "sports bike" we
note that it has a few issues: The relatively hefty mass and long
wheelbase make the machine reluctant to execute rapid directional
transitions. This makes for a poor sports bike, so as a "sports tourer",
the K1200RS leans heavily towards the touring side with some sporting
capability (good power + styling cues) thrown in. But if we look at the
entirely different <G> K1200GT, a "Grand Tourer" (a subclass of the
"sports tourer" class of bikes, leaning much towards the "touring" side),
we notice that it performs very well at high highway speeds due to its
relatively hefty mass and long wheelbase. And yes, the "extra heft"
improves stability in that case.

As you can see, the more appropriate question is not "does 'extra heft'
improve stability", but rather, "does 'extra heft' improve stability, and
if so, under what conditions?" On virtually any motorcycle, extra weight
(within reason) improves high speed straight-line stability, but the
penalty is a reduction of agility, reduced acceleration, possibly
increased braking distance, and more of a "handful" for the rider in
terms of balancing at a stop, maneuvering in rapidly changing conditions,
and recovering from dicey situations.

- -Steve

 Oakville, Ontario, Canada
 2000 R1100S/ABS, Mandarin