Re: Extra Heft and "Stability"

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Brown" <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "BMW Oilhead List" <oilheads@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 12:18 PM
Subject: Extra Heft and "Stability"

> I have a 400 LB sport bike, an Aprilia Mille R.   It's very
stable at
> highways speeds.

Same with my CBR 929 at 375lbs.

> My RT is more prone to trying to kick itself off-line when a
truck goes by
> or in a crosswind than the Aprilia, which I can ride though all
kinds of
> wind and rain without constant correction of my line.   A lot
of this is
> aerodynamics and "sail", the amount of solid surface on the
side of the
> bike, especially up high, that can catch crosswinds.

I've been in a couple of situations where a stiff gust affected
stability. In both Newfoundland and my trip out West in 2002,
crosswinds were stiff but with no problem. Then a sudden vicious
gust put me in the next lane (oncoming traffic). Fortunately,
there was no oncoming traffic. I wondered if the light weight
contributed to this.

Other than that, I also ride through all kinds of weather (rain
and winds) with no hint of stability problems.

>This is due to the fact that the Aprilia is
> all hunkered down low and has a low windscreen, no top trunk
and excellent
> aerodynamics.

A top trunk catches air for sure.

Bruno