Re: Poor gas mileage

 > >I also saw that rumor, but the new R1200GS makes me think it is false.
 > >Apparently the new GS fires one set of plugs as is done currently but the
 > >other set is controlled per cylinder by the engine management system.
 > >Sounds interesting if true.
 >
 > Where did you hear about the second plug being used only periodically?
 > That doesn't seem to make sense to me.

How does "controlled per cylinder by the engine management system" equate
to "being used only periodically"?

The new GS has a "dual ignition" system.   Apparently (from conversations
with a local BMW wrench) part of the "dual ignition" system means that the
timing of the firing of the second plug is variable and independantly controlled
for each cylinder.  I don't remember if he said this is part of the anti-knock
stuff or not.

He may not know what he was talking about and/or I may have misundersood
the entire conversation, but I don't think so.

// marc