Hydraulic Clutch Linkage Problem

The clutch engagement / disengagement system on my 2000gs with about 8k on
it has  stopped functioning properly.
Had the bike about 6 months, a couple of months ago, one morning I had to
pump the clutch to get it to work correctly, sort of like an older car
without power brakes that needs brake work. This pumping was a one time
affair, the system work normally for about another month with not problems.
 Then one morning a squealing sound started, which lasted for about 5 miles
of in town riding and about that much more on the freeway. This squealing
sound went completely away if you applied some pressure on the clutch lever,
but with the clutch out it squealed in any gear including neutral. The pitch
of the squealing varied a the points between full engagement and about half
way to  full disengagement, you could almost play a tune sort of like a
slide whistle. Anyway when I parked the bike that evening, all was normal.
Next ride attempt, clutch lever goes clear to handle bar grip without full
clutch release, pumping helped a little but not enough to ride to work.
 I have been into airhead and K bike clutches but not a 259, I figure its
sort of similar with the actuating rod through the trans input shaft.
Somewhere between the tip of the actuating rod and the clutch lever, I have
a problem.
Did a search in the archives with almost no info, I dont recall anyone ever
complaining about this on the several beemer lists I am on.
No leakage at the master or slave, reservoir level is ok Coming off the
slave  is a hose which leads to a device anchored near the back side of the
helmet lock There is a cap screw at the top of it, but no familiar bleeder
nipple.
At the master is a set screw that the lever works against, but it has that
factory set look about it.
First thing I want to do is bleed the system, maybe that will cure the
problem.
Anybody done this, or have experience with the descirbed hydraulic clutch
linkage problems?

Thanks in advance.
Rod Neff
Santa Monica