Re: Battery

Matt,
I purchased a new '04 R1150GS this past June that was equipped with BMW's new
gel battery. It is my understanding that the primary advantage of the gel
battery over the conventional lead-acid battery is that the gel battery is able
to handle longer periods of non-use without losing charge sufficient to start
the motorcycle. It is also an unfortunate fact that the conventional type of
battery charger/tender used for lead-acid batteries should not be used on the
gel batteries.
Since my motorcycles typically get ridden at least once a week, a prolonged
period of non-use is not an issue for me. Had I had any choice in the matter, I
would have preferred to continue with a lead-acid battery, which I would
change out every three years which has been my practice for some time now. Rather
than change something on a new bike that might come back to bite me should a
warranty issue occur, I decided to accept the bike with the gel battery and
swallow the cost of the new and necessary type of battery charger.
So far, I have had no need to use this battery charger. In addition, it is
way to early to determine if there is any upside or downside when it comes to
the useful life of the gel battery. As indicated before, if I can get three
years out of a battery, I'm a happy camper and have no qualms about spending the
money to pop a new one in at the end of that period of time.
Gary Prickett
Mission Viejo, CA