Re: wishing and hoping...get an FJR!

Glad to see you guys ripping the FJR1300 over here in Oilhead land, goodness knows they have no love for the Beemers on the FJR list!  I feel qualified to speak up because I have one of each.  (Oh, the one for $11,000 with 300 miles...."DIVORCE FORCES SALE") And check out the listings for BMW Oilheads in the Owner's News.  Lots for sale with under 5k (low for a BMW I think.)  Not everybike is for everybody and many don't know it until they actually own one.  As for the FJR, it is a sweet bike.  It does not have the protection that the RT offers but the power output is awesome and it gives better mileage.  It is also comfortable for long distance (check the number of FJRs that entered the Iron Butt last year...all but one finished and that was a rider problem, not the bike.) I've had two RTs, an 1100 and the current 1150.  The 1100 was sweet, the 1150 is not.  And I think I have it sold.  But I have 27,000 on it so I've tolerated it's shortcomings until I got the FJR.  I would not go
 so far as to say the FJR is a better machine than the Roadster or any other Oilhead.  But, for $11,000, 12 with ABS, it is a great buy.  The fit and finish, and the accessability of things like fuses and battery (of course the Beemer battery is not real easy to get to) are subpar to the Beemer.  But the bike runs so much smoother, if hotter, than my RT.  I've done everything I can think of to rid the RT of the surge.  It is as good as it is going to get thanks to the TFi but mileage is now sub 40 much of the time whereas the FJR is getting 43 and up with only 5000 miles.  Barely broke in.  Ok, I'll hop down now and go back to the FJR list  ;-)

oilheads-digest <owner-oilheads-digest@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In a message dated 2/11/04 8:01:12 AM Eastern Standard Time, tccox@xxxxxxx