Re: Anything but linked brakes

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 08:44:17 -0500, Bob wrote:

>I'm not sure I agree with the MOST oilheads statement.  My impression
>is that most of these bikes surge to one degree or another as
>delivered.

Ummm, didn't you just contradict yourself?  Your agreeing with the
statement that most do not surge, and then follow on with a statement
that they most do surge. I get your point, I'm just busting your
chops.

>Some owners are very sensitive to this and others are not.
>Then, moving forward from the as delivered, it is possible to get MOST
>oilheads to run without objectionable surging with careful tuning.

Absolutely.  I believe it is a matter of rider sensitivity AND your
riding style/environment.  Most of my riding is commuting, which is
the absolutely worst conditions for surging.

>The problem gets severe when MOST DEALERS are unwilling or unable to
>properly tune the bikes.

More likely, not willing to spend the time required to do the proper
job.  It's a fixed time job.  Get it done in the allocated time.  I'd
be willing to bet I spend between 2 and 4 times he amount of time a
dealer spends on valve adjustments and TB sync.

>Just my opinion.

I agree.