RE: gear lube change

My last gear lube change worried me too.  I'd describe the color of my transmission oil on the last change as "luminescent pearl green ".  At least no chunks came out.   I replaced it with synthetic Mobil 75W-90.

- -----Original Message-----
From: owner-oilheads@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-oilheads@xxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Eckhard Grohe
Sent: Sunday, February 29, 2004 4:27 AM
To: oilheads@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Spline Lube

Tom:

A BMW mechanic for 30 years!!!!  That is some pedigree....  I am sure you
would be in the know.

The fact that you are going onto your third tranny worries me! What has
causes theses to fail?  I am concerned for my 98 R1100RT as the I was not
happy with the way the oil looked when I changes it last time.  Sort of
reminded me of metal flake paint.    I switched to 85-140W oil after that
and the shifting improved so I hope whatever was going on will continue to
do so more slowly or stop completely.

Eckhard