Re: Oh, My Aching Back

Hello Martin,

On 3/10/04 11:40 AM, Martin Lodahl lodahl@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>Well, to my not inconsiderable chagrin, I can no longer avoid considering
>that my R1150RA may be a factor in my back problems.  Has anyone else faced
>this problem, and found something that helped?

Every human is fairly unique. People sing the praises of Corbin saddles,
and I positively hate them after trying one. Some folks feel sports bikes
are uncomfortable while some (few, granted) use them for distance riding.
What ever floats your boat, as they say. Some things to consider
regarding your back pain:

 o It could be degenerative in nature, meaning that it'll get worse
   no matter what you do, so you may only be able to slow its progress.

 o Contributing factors could include:

     o Suspension adjustment (too hash a ride)

     o Bike ergonomics (foot peg and handle bar positions relative to
       you.

     o The saddle, and how it lets your butt be planted on it.

     o Your posture. Some rider sit bolt upright, others slouch, and
       a whole bunch of gray zone between.

     o Riding for a long time. An 8 hour ride could get as
       uncomfortable as sitting in a office chair for that amount of
       time.

     o Your clothing. Yes, if clothing is not comfortable, you may be
       inclined to adopt an "unnatural" (for you) posture to
       compensate for gathering, bunching, pulling, etc.

     o Your helmet could be on the heavy side, thereby resulting in
       neck strain.

     o If you are cold while you are riding, or if you are tense, then
       you may be involuntarily constricting back muscles which cause
       fatigue then pain.

Without you providing more information, it's hard to make a diagnosis. I
hope these ideas help you in terms of where to start looking for more
information, or how to better determine the cause of the pain. Good luck.

- -Steve

 Oakville, Ontario, Canada
 2000 R1100S/ABS, Mandarin