Re: Oh, My Aching Back

In a message dated 3/10/2004 10:12:59 AM Pacific Standard Time,
lodahl@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
What sorts of changes have people with sore backs tried, besides gin?
Martin,
All of the suggestions you have received so far are good and valid. However,
I wish to add one more based on personal experience.
If you have a chronic back problem caused by a congenital, degenerative or
traumatic condition, changing motorcycle seats, riding position, the bed you
sleep in, the shoes you wear, whatever, is only symptomatic relief. I went
through these types of thing and more up until 12 years ago with the result that I
would get temporary relief but could be sure that something, somewhere,
sometime was going to trigger pain somewhere down the line. After several years of
ignoring my wife's advise (does that sound familiar)?, and during a particularly
painful couple of days, I went to the Chiropractor she had been seeing for
about 2 years.
Like many people, perhaps you, I had grown up with the idea that
Chiropractors were quacks. I was wrong -- very wrong. I won't take the time to tell you my
"war story," but will only suggest that you invest a little time and a few
bucks to try this potential solution. Keep in mind that Chiropractors come in a
variety of sizes, shapes and capabilities, just like mechanics. Find one who
will take an  x-ray of your back and presuming an anomaly is found, will
explain the problem and course of treatment to you in terms that make you feel
comfortable both physically and emotionally.
As in 'shopping' for any provider of personal services, a physician, dentist,
barber, etc., use you instincts to tell you when you have found one that you
feel is competent, has your well being in mind, and can be trusted.
Good luck in getting to the source of your discomfort.
Regards,
Gary Prickett
Mission Viejo, CA