Ohlins shocks...Nightmare!

Bob:

>Ohlins were the one I wanted to buy.  I didn't buy the Ohlins, neither the
others.  I have 87,500 miles (140,000 km) on the OME shocks.  They do not
leak yet. They could be shut by now, how do I know it????   The bike is
lower???  That's good for me, I'm only 5'-7".   For sure I am going to put
another 10,000 miles on them very soon.  May be next season I'll change
shocks (money).  What's holding me back from changing is not only the cost
but the possible problems I could face with.  I cannot believe that shocks
are finished at 20,000 miles, further more, I do not want shocks which have
to be re-built at every 20,000 miles meaning for me: after each season.
I am trying to learn from the troubles of others.
Thanks for writing about it.
Bob Silas

This doesn't sound like you.  Did you really write this?

Anyway, I had around 40K on my Ohlins before the first rebuild.  They were
fine prior to rebuild, but it was the end of the season and I thought I'd
get a nice improvement for a couple hundred bucks.

I recommend Jerry Link at SHY Racing in Murfreesboro, TN this time.  He can
handle standard rebuilds standing on his head, but he's also great and very
patient with special requests.   He rebuilt my shocks and changed all the
parts necessary to make the 1100 RT shocks work on my 1150 RT.  Shocks were
like new again.  They're great now with 9K on them.   Charge was around $350
for everything.  LOTS more work and Ohlins replacement parts.

You do not need to rebuild at 20K.   You can let them go til 200K if you
want, but the point is you can have them rebuilt when you're ready and
they'll work like new again.

I like Ohlins because there are a lot of choices for service and they have
the parts...Lead times are a little long, but you do get them.   Also, they
are a "blue chip" brand, that's easy to sell when the time comes.

- -TB