Re: F650

Since we're on the subject...

I've been thinking on and off about getting an F650GS for a second bike
as there seem to be a lot of clean used ones around for pretty good
prices, and the F650's that I've ridden have always been a lot of fun
and more competent than I ever thought a 650 single could be, at least
on the road... but... what's kept me away are some of the potential
maintenance headaches, or at least what seem to be problems from an
outside perspective. Not just the chain drive, but looking over the tech
& maintenance FAQ sections on the F650.com site it sure seems like
maintenance on the F bikes is complex (for a single) and frequent
relative to the oilheads. Even just looking at the oil change or valve
adjustment FAQs... yikes. And if you think there are a lot of bitches
about design weaknesses on an oilhead list just take a look over there...

Not trying to slam the F bikes as I have never owned one and am
admittedly ignorant of what the real story is here, and maybe my sense
of this is just exaggerated by the 'Internet Effect', but I sure get a
kind of negative impression. I would like to be wrong about this...  am I?

- - Seth