- -----Original Message-----
From: owner-oilheads@xxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-oilheads@xxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of David E.B. Smith

Well, absent the wheelie, my RT is sitting at BMW of St. Louis
right now
with the same problem. Rolling along I-44, just turned over 117K
miles,
suddenly felt bumping like going over a rough road, loss of
power. Got
to the shoulder, no drive. Got a tow truck, rolled it off the
flatbed at
the shop, could hear a thwap-thwap-thwap sound from the rear end.
Diagnosis: Front u-joint failed, driveshaft "disintegrated" (the
mechanic's word), holed the swingarm, bent the tranny output
shaft. You
don't even want to know what the repair estimate is.

- --
David E.B. Smith * Chicago IL 393 455 * BMWMOA BMWRA IBA AMA
ABATE
1997 R1100RT Sine(us) Blue "No name" * Illinois IBMWR plate * 01,
03 IBR
1999 F650 Black (hers - no, really)
1999 Subaru Forester S "also a Boxer"
http://www.davidebsmith.org