Re: oilheads-digest V1 #175

Eckhard:

A couple things:

1. The Cycle Gadgets kit includes all the wiring and stuff that you
need to do this without ripping up your bike.  I strongly suggest it if
you're going to go that way.  These lights will be on your bike a long
time and you don't want something that's going to cause reliability
problems while you're out on the road.   I bought their kit and was
very happy with the quality of all the components, including the
lights.

2. That said, I'd recommend mounting lights along side the front wheel
rather than under the oil cooler.  The oil cooler mounting position
looks great, but your front fender can hit the lights on hard braking
or over a good sized bump.  This never hurt my lights, but put marks in
my front fender on both sides.   There are a number of kits you can get
that offer side mounted lights on the forks.  They offer the added
advantage of aiming the beam into the corners at night.   This is a
very nice advantage and you should consider it strongly.   The guys I
know who have this system really like it.   No one has had negative
effects from this mounting position.

I solved my lighting problem by getting myself an 1150RT last year.
The integral fog lights really light up the road and I no longer see a
need for auxilliary lighting.   You're 99, like mine, really needs
something.

Best,

- -TB