Re: Fuel pump noise.

kari.dan@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<<I lurk regularly and have gleaned much information from this list.  My
question is regarding the fuel pump on my 2000 R1100R.  Recently it started
making a loud high-pitched whine for about = second when I turn the key on.
Then it settles into its customary normal low-pitch whine.  It doesnt do
this every time, and it doesnt seem to matter if the tank is full or not.
I havent noticed any change in the pump performance. Is this a bad sign?
If so, is there a fix?  Is it signaling the demise of my pump?  Thanks in
advance for you input.>>

Sounds like there is a high pressure leak inside the tank. This could be a
clamp has loosened as the hose it's clamping has compressed. The fix is to go in
and tighten ALL the clamps a bit. Same with the outside ones whiler you are
there. A conscientious mechanic will be checking the outside clamps at each
service. They do loosen, and a dangerous condition can result. The internal leak
can cause a slight degradation of performance as the fuel pressure begins to
fluctuate faster than the pressure regulator can comprnsate. This is a very
tough probblem to diagnose, but it becomes evident when you tighten the clamps
and suddenly the bike runs better.

Tom Cutter