Re: R1100SA 2-plug top speed disappointment

Hello All,

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Pete Naylor" <pete@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <oilheads@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 11:29 PM
Subject: Re: R1100SA 2-plug top speed disappointment

> Jack Bunce wrote...
>
> > Today, I tried it without all the junk hanging out and it was 118.2 mph
> > tucked; very disappointing. I tried tit a couple of ways; through the
> > gears shifting at 8000 rpm and the 5th and 6th gear roll ons. All were
> > the same.]
>
> I'm not sure if I'm correctly understanding what you've written above
> about "5th and 6th gear roll ons" Jack, but it would be quite unusual to
> top out at the same speed in both gears.  My experience with a number of
> vehicles has been that there isn't enough torque available in the tallest
> gear to overcome wind resistance - top speeds are generally gained in 5th
> (of 6 speeds) or 4th (of 5 speeds).

FWIW, my 2000 R1100S (with Vanderlinde exhaust/chip) redlines (plus a bit)
in 6th gear where it reaches its top speed on level ground and no
appreciable wind. The Vanderlinde is a beautiful noisemaker though I doubt
it adds much umph, but even if it delivers its claimed increase of "6 hp",
that's a miniscule difference at an indicated ~240 kph. I suspect something
is amiss with the test platform.

- -Steve
 2000 R1100S/ABS, Mandarin
 Oakville, Ontario, Canada