Re: Oilhead service interval question

The rule of thumb in aviation is you can exceed the service interval by 10%,
but for only like services...for example...

oil change: 5,000start can exceed by 500, so with the change at 5,500 next
can be 10,500 +500(interval has stayed the same
drive line fluids, 10,000, can exceed by 1,000
alternator belt 36,000, can exceed by 36,000, but mandatory replacement of
mid time belts (24k or higher) before the IB rally.

but a major service on a new R? change the oil, filter, tranny and rear end,
sych the TB, check the valves...two hours tops.  Start with a cold bike, do
the valves, warm it up with a good ride, change fluids, get it back warm and
check for leaks, TB sync.  Gotta figure 2-3 hours without rushing the job

I am still working out my maintenance intervals on the Rockster,

oil and filter: 4k to 5k
driveline fluids: 10k or yearly, whatever comes first
TB sych and valve check, every oil change until they turn stable, then every
other.

Howard