Re: Oilhead service interval question

>Dennis,  Everyone has their own take on this subject.  Here's mine, and
>worth every dollar you are spending on it.

I'm glad you qualified that.  I'm going to offer my "free" advice as
well.

>There is no such thing as a 12k service.  You should service the bike
>at exactly 5k mile increments.  So do a full service at 10k before your
>trip. Use synthetic oil (I use Mobil 1 15-50) with new filter.  At each
>even 10k I also adjust valves, change trans and rear fluids plus sync
>the throttle bodies.  You can see the work needed in the manual.

I think the intervals should be 4,387, exactly, not one mile more or
less.  Seriously.  What's the big deal between 6K and 5K intervals?
The math is easier to remember with 5K.  BMW recommends 6K.

I have  the BMW service sheet online at the following link.  It
prescribes all the recommended maintennce for 600/6K/12K/Annual
servicing.

http://www.jtan.com/~wayne/r1100r.html

In the "A few Links" section, there is a link to the Maintenance form.
It's a zipfile

>Your bike is just getting broken in.

Which is why I find it troubling that you would recommend synthetic.
I am no expert mechanic, but I would never use or recommend synthetic
in a bike with only 10K.  Personally, I'd wait until 20K or 25K.