From: owner-oilheads@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-oilheads@xxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Tom Brown
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 6:59 AM
To: BMW Oilhead List
Subject: Metzler Tire Question

Bob:

Since you brought up the Dunlop D220 again, I'm going to put a quick post
telling people about my experience with them:

I put a set of D220s on in the fall of '02.  (I was the first on my
block...the eternal guinea pig.)  By Memorial Day weekend of last year, I
had just about exactly 5,000 miles on them.   I was out in LaCrosse on a
weekend ride with the Chicago Region club.  It was Monday morning and we
were getting ready to head for home via the scenic route.  I noticed some
streaks running the length of my rear tire and thought I must have run
through some wet paint or something.  I ran my finger along the tire and
frayed ends of steel braiding sliced my fingers drawing blood.   I had
corded the rear tire in only 5,000 miles.   This really surprised me because
the tire took a while to work in cold weather, was especially heavy and
didn't have the grip of an 020 or MeZ4, so I really expected high miles with
it.

I managed the 300 mile ride home without incident.  I don't know how long
the tire had been corded.  the belt was exposed for the entire diameter of
the tire in at least one place and in two or three places at the worst
spots.  Needless to say, I don't recommend this tire for an RT.

The only tires I'd put on my RT now are Z6 or 020.   As I mentioned before,
I'm having very good initial experience with the Z6.  If it holds up, it'll
be my #1 choice.

I've got no experience with Pilot Roads.  My general impression of Michelin
compounds is that they need more time to warm up and are more temp sensitive
than 020 and Z6.   From what I've heard, they don't last as long and the
price is high as well.

>Has anyone ever used Michelin Pilot Road tires?  I was at my dealer on
Saturday and he was really >pushing this tire but it was probably the most
expensive in his shop.  I looked on line and found them to >be cheaper than
most other brands (Z4, D220, BT010/020). Are they a performance bargain or
is my >dealer just stuck with a bunch of tires he paid too much for?

- -TB