RE: I need to figure out something about my Ohlins and : Was RE: Ohlins Shocks

> 	Now, my issue. I've got my rear shock out of the bike
> till I come up with cash for the new spring. I'm thinking
> that I DON'T want the remote pre-load. Here is my thinking
> ... the stock BMW shock allows a WIDE adjustment. You are
> loaded up with camping gear two up, you get out your spanner
> and give it a few (pain in the ass) adjustments up. 1-7 so
> even two heavy people can ride. With the Ohlins, the remote
> pre-load doesn't cover this range. However, it looks like the
> next cheapest has the two ring adjustment using a spanner.
> One could set the bike up for ultimate one up riding, then
> squeeze the spring for two up camping. Not the ideal setup
> crushing the spring down, but if it works for the stock BMW
> shock? Would this idea ruin a fancy Ohlins? Comments PLEASE.
> I need some more schooling!

Doug,

Are you sure that with the proper spring, the hydraulic adjuster won't provide
enough range to accommodate two up with luggage?  My Wilbers have no problem
adding enough preload for the SO and luggage.  With a 10kg/mm spring, adding
250lbs only requires 11-12mm of added preload to keep the same sag.  I can't
believe the Ohlins adjuster won't give you that much compression.

If you don't switch between loaded and unloaded frequently, there's certainly no
problem with relying on the spanner to adjust the preload.  The advantage to the
remote for me on the RT is that I do about half my riding solo with no or empty
bags and half touring with full cases, tent, etc.  With the remote adjustments
it's less than a minute to switch after unloading the bike and setting up camp
to being on the twisties with a light bike.  A day or two later 30sec adjustment
and I'm back on the road loaded up again.

Davis Eichelberger