CCP,gas mileage and vibration

A number of months ago, I posted a request for info about how to increase my
low gas mileage (low 30s) on my '95 R1100R with catless Remus exhaust. Oxygen
sensor is in place. I had removed the ccp per suggestions on the list and
achieved better power and worse gas mileage. I decided to replace the ccp and
my mileage bounced back up to the low 40s. The problem is that I then
developed an odd vibration at about 3500 rpms. I decided to remove the ccp,
once again, to see what effect that had on the vibration. The vibration pretty
much disappeared. So, do I have to choose between high gas mileage and smooth
engine performance or is there a way to get both?
TIA
Peter