From: owner-oilheads@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-oilheads@xxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Bob Hadden
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2004 10:44 AM
To: oilheads@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: CCP,gas mileage and vibration

Peter,  What you are likely seeing is that the motor is surging a bit
when the ccp is in place.  I have the ccp out and am getting 40+ mpg
with very smooth running.  Actually, I have never been on a smoother
oil head, and anyone who has ridden my bike agrees with that.

What I have done is use Autolite plugs, remove ccp, and do proper tune
up.  This means be picky about the valve adjustment, and do a proper
zero = zero as detailed on the ibmwr web site.  All that should get you
running smoothly without surge.  If your mileage is not good, you are
running too rich.  Think of the tps set point (normally 0.37 volts) as
the base setting to determine how much fuel you get with a given
throttle opening (read 'amount of air').  If you are running rich, you
need to lower this setting.  Mine is much lower now, but I don't
remember the number.  So you bring the value down until you get both
good performance and good plug readings.

One easy check on the mixture over the long term is to look at your
exhaust pipe outlet.  I get almost no soot when running my finger over
the inside of the pipe.  Most other oil heads are all black and loaded
with soot.

Let us know how you progress with this.

Bob Hadden '98RS, '62R27