R1100RT "Choke" effectiveness

All,

After recently replacing throttle, choke, and throttle body cables, a
problem I was hoping would go away has not. My "choke" lever never really
would raise the idle speed enough to be useful. I have the adjuster backed
all the way out. At full warmed temp, I'm running about an 1000 rpm idle
speed.

On a summer day start, the first position barely seems to affect idle speed
at all. A manual hold of the lever at full deflection nets about 200 rpm.
But then I could just hold the throttle. What's the point?

On a cold day, the first position will not really keep a cold engine
running.

Is this normal for others?

Thanks,
Matt