Re: Cracked System Bag Hook

After a similar rough ride I've noticed that the passenger seat lock ('94 RS) fell apart.  The face plate and the spring were on top of the fender but the hook was missing.  I made another hook and bolted back the assembly.
It is recommended to check those three bolts for tightness once in a while.
Bob Silas
  I broke two hooks on system cases when I had a 1996 R1100RS. Couldn't
  figure out what was going on until much time had passed. Turned out I
  was running the shock preload too soft and upon extreme compression
  (hitting a big bump when loaded heavily) the side of the final drive
  housing was striking the inside of the bag and causing the break. You
  could actually see a very slight discoloration in the form of a vertical
  stripe on the final drive casing where it was rubbing against the inside
  of the system case. I cranked up the preload some and the problem was
  solved!

  --
  Bob
       Eventual Master of the Obvious