RE: Cracked System Bag Hook

Bob,
Unlike myself, you are the master of the obvious!  You hit the nail (or
final drive as it were) right on the head.  I looked inside the rear
fender and found a clean tire scuff mark.  It takes 5.5 inches of
suspension travel for the tire to hit the fender.  It only takes 5
inches of suspension travel for the final drive to hit the system case.
I also saw the telltale black vertical mark on the drive you spoke of.
(Please remind me how well BMW motorcycles are engineered, I'm beginning
to have my doubts).  Now my problem becomes deeper: will cranking up the
preload be sufficient or do I need more compression dampening with a new
shock.  Remember, I was one up with empty cases when I hit the bump and
broke the case.
Thanks everyone for all the help,
Tony
1997 R1100RS red