Re: '94 R1100RS

Gary,
Thanks for the detailed run down.  Interesting.
I had the clutch changed at 35,000 miles but it was not necessary, the service manager talked me into it saying that the noise of the transmission originate from that. Of course it was all bull.

They also sold me a pair of heated grip which only heats when I am in idling, at 60 mph you feel no heat at all. It's low setting does not work in spite of costing me the whole thing $300.-  I bought a $25.- snowmobile grip heater and installed it on my K75s which  is used by my son when we ride together and he says that its so hot that from time to time he has to turn it off.

I bought the bike in 1998 at 9,000 miles. The only time I got stranded, on my first trip, was in the middle of nowhere in Nova Scotia.  A 100 miles towing was for a busted fuel filter. Since it's located outside.  The first season I had the bike I used up 3 sets of tires.  Started with MEz4s then BT-57s, then BT-020s, that was my favorite for long tours.  I just did a 10,000 mile trip having BT-010 front and BT-020 on the back.  I should have stayed with the BT-020 on the front.  With the BT-010 front I had to cut 2,000 miles from my trip. My riding partner on a GS used ME-880 front and back, he did a bit more than my mileage was, about 11,500 miles and his tires not even 50 % worn.

I do not remember how many sets of tires I went through during the 92,000 miles.
I had Michelins too.  I have a Corbin seat which is as hard after 82,000 miles as it was on the first day.

Engine is perfect.  I change oil in  every 3,200 miles (5,000 km) approx. using Motul 5100 and new filter. This winter I will install new clutch and lube what ever has to be lubed. In the engine never changed anything else but a leaking left side head gasket.  I just changed top and bottom ball joints.  Rotors are OK, using BMW brake pads.

I followed Rob Lentini's suggestion and changed intake tubes with GS tubes.

I keep a log but not nearly as good as your detailed log.
Lots of modifications, additions, were made to the bike to fit it to a 5'-7" old guy.
I am also planning to change the flexible handle bar solution to fixed system.
Basically I am very pleased with my '94 R1100RS.
Bob Silas
Montreal, Que.
PS: BTW, where are you located???

"