  From: John Van Deren
  To: oilheads@xxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2004 6:15 AM
  Subject: Re: More beta RS blather..

  Eric,

  My RS number ends in R0310080, which I thought meant that it is the 80th
  unit built (or perhaps the 10,080th one).  I also thought the numbers 31
  were in each serial number for the '94's, meaning yours was the 977th built.
  The tag also says, 3/93.  I did not think to write Bob's number down, but
  the last seven digits were very different (no 3 or 31 in his, a 28 I seem to
  remember - perhaps a much earlier bike)...still with 3/93 date.  Could BMW
  have built 10K RS's in one month? It's not particularly important, but I'm
  curious at what number they started the RS run.  It would give us an idea
  how many of these early bikes are around.

  John Van Deren
  Montpelier, VT