Re: Retorquing heads etc.

>Now, not having seen how the stud is attached to the crankcase, I can't
>really tell just how screwed I am.  Can anyone with more experience offer
>input here?  What have I done and what are my options?  :(

Pete,

I would say you are looking at a Heli-coil job.  Worse problem is all the shaving you are going to make putting it in.  Grease is your friend here, It can catch the shavings but you have to work at it, to make sure you catch 100% of them... Here a 99 is not a passing grade...

I know the early 94 RS seemed to really have this problem and would reqularily have studs strip out.

I am a bit puzzled that you heard much noise at all,  Usually stripping a stud out involves more just never being able to tighten it up.  It would sound more like you broke the stud off but you should have then been able to pull it clear out as it wouldn't be attached to anything any more.

Please tell us what you find and how you fix it... but for the grace of a wrench that could be any of us.

Paige