Re: Oil consumption Queston

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:35:49 -0700 (PDT, Alan Schlageter
<aschlage@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have just bought my first oilhead -- 2004 R1150RT. I
> traded up from a /5 and /6.
>
> My question is:
>
> Since my 600 mile service and oil change, I've added a
> little more than 1.5 quarts of oil. This seems
> excessive to me. Is it normal?

I agree with the previous posters..... use the upper RPM range (5,000
to 8,000).  The spec in the book is  one liter per one thousand
kilometers or 0.85 qts per 500 miles.

What kind of oil and what viscosity are you using?

What do your exhausts look like, e.g., lots of carbon, dirty on the
silencer ends, etc.

What criterion are you using to determine that it is time to add oil?
Mine would use oil if I overfilled it.  I finally got smart and only
checked it while the bike was hot and on the centerstand.  If I could
see oil in the sight glass the level was fine; if not, then I added a
few ccs until until I could and never above the center dot.

Finally, what does the airbox drain and the exterior of the intake
tract on the right side look like?  Is it discolored or does it appear
wet?

cheers.... jack, '04 R1100SA, Waterford, Connecticut, U.S.A.