Re: Oil consumption Queston

Alan Schlageter wrote:

> I have just bought my first oilhead -- 2004 R1150RT. I
> traded up from a /5 and /6.
>
> My question is:
>
> Since my 600 mile service and oil change, I've added a
> little more than 1.5 quarts of oil. This seems
> excessive to me. Is it normal?

How many miles have you gone? Less than 900 miles and you're a high oil
burner by BMW's ruler.

According to the BMW user manual, maximum acceptable oil consumption is 1
liter per 1000 km. My 2000 R1100S has always been good on oil, right out of
the box. I've only consumed 1/2 a sight glass (0.25 liters) in the past
4,400 km. That's about 6% of the maximum limit. I broke it in by the book,
and thrashed the engine thereafter. I always changed the oil and filter
regularly, and used premium dino lube. But then again, I hear that fuel
consumption is a crap-shoot amongst BMW bikes.

- - -Steve Makohin
 2000 R1100S/ABS, Mandarin
 Oakville, Ontario. Canada

.