Re: Running rich

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 12:25:49 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>99 R1100R. Remus exhaust, no O2 sensor, beige Cat Code plug, CO pot. Motronic
>reset after modifications.
>
>The right cylinder's spark plug is consistantly sootier than the left
>(which
>looks OK). I assume the bike is running rich on one cylinder (the right
>one,
>sitting on the bike).
>
>(A sidebar: this is the cylinder that broke a piston ring late last
>year.
>suspect there is a connection between that and the rich mixture.
>Unburnt fuel
>blowing by the rings and diluting the oil?)
>
>Where should I start? TPS 0=0? Fuel injector? Would an aftermarket chip
>be of
>any use? The bike has had all the usual tune-ups performed--valves, TB
>sync.

Well, look at the symptom.  If the right plug is dirtier, than it is
either not firing correctly,  it is getting too much fuel, or perhaps
the ring broke again and you are burning oil.  I can't think of too
many other causes for that problem. What color is the soot, black or
brown?  Black is likely too much fuel, brown could be oil.  How bad is
the soot?  Does it cause misfire?

Solve the problem before introducing more variables like 0=0 or an
aftermarket chip.  It will only make things worse.