Re: R12GS Trannies?

Don MacQueen wrote:

> Greets!
>
> I heard a (completely unsubstantiated) rumor that the new GS-es were
> rife with outright transmission failures, at pretty low miles. Anyone
> heard the same? Experience?  Evidence that this is a malicious rumor?

Having had an R1200GS since April 17th, I have been hauting as many
forums and such as I have been able to find and have been understandably
interested in hearing about any failures so I could watch for any
symptoms on my own bike.

My memory is not the greatest, but I don't recall reading about *any*
transmission failures on bikes in consumer hands (I do recall the
article you mentioned), but there have been a few cases of a seal on the
transmission leaking that causes the tranny to be pulled to fix, but
these seem to be taken care of under warranty. I have read about maybe 3
or 4 of these. I would certainly have noticed if the forums were filled
with tranny failure stories. There have been a handful of rear drive
failures (at the wheel) all preceeded by noticable play in the rear
wheel and (I think) all with only a few thousand miles on the bikes.
Some have speculated that a batch of parts with bad hardening got into
some bikes, but who really knows.

My own R1200GS just turned 12,000 miles on the way home from a trip to
the country north of Montreal and has been trouble-free except for two
windshield screws getting loose. I really love this bike!

- --
Bob
     Eventual Master of the Obvious
  R1200GS CB750F DoD EMOTO BMWMOA SOHC4
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun