Re: Relays

On Oct 2, 2004, at 3:14 PM, ABSDoug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> 	Trying to learn more about relays. The part I don't understand; using
> small
> amounts of power to energies the switch with bigger amounts of power.
> Where
> do you pick up this smaller amount of power? I read how relays work
> and from
> what I read, all the power is coming from the same source; the battery.

There is only one source of power on a bike and that is the battery.
The relay allows you to run larger gauge wire to the load and in the
case of the BMW headlight, you use the voltage of the stock wiring
harness for the headlight to operate the coil. The current draw of the
coil is small and  this is easier on the stock wiring than the current
draw of the headlight.

Robert

04 Yamaha FZ6