Re: Relays

Robert sez:
> Well a diesel does not need an alternator to run the ENGINE.

But it does need the alternator to run the electrical equipment such as
lights, radios, heat and AC fans, etc.

> I was left standing on the side of the road while riding my R80 when the
> battery died and so did the R80. It took two jumpstarts to get home.

That is the description of a classical alternator failure. The alternator
failed but the battery continued to supply electricity to the bike until it
was exhausted. Once that happened, there was no electrical source, and the
engine ceased to operate. If the battery alone goes dead, the engine will
continue to operate from the alternator-produced electrons. The jump start
gets the engine started, the alternator then produces electrical power to
operate electrical equipment and to recharge the battery.

Jim
microdoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx