Re: R1100RS mystery

What year is your RS?????
Bob Silas
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: rob
  To: bmw-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Cc: oilheads@xxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Friday, October 29, 2004 8:59 PM
  Subject: Re: R1100RS mystery

  Hi all,

  I wrote a while back about my RS burning the right cylinder exhaust
  valves,
  and with an 80% leakage in the left cylinder; BMW has now officially
  denied
  any coverage including any good will. The reps attitude is that they
  have no way
  of knowing what I've done to the bike (though my maintenance record is
  on file
  at my dealership), and that it's too far out of warranty. Though the
  bike has
  44K on it, they might as well say that burned valves are the norm!
  Something
  obviously went very wrong to have gone from 8% leakage in both to it's
  current state in 10K miles.

  A few questions are in order:

  Have any of you burned valves, or had severe leakage in a cylinder,
  similar
  to what I've described? Or heard of another bike similarly disposed?

  Might anyone have a contact name or a more specific (preferably email)
  address
  other than the generic N.A. address in NJ?

  Has anyone sold there bike as in my bikes condition? I'm extremely
  leery after
  5 transmissions, a sight glass blow out, fuel pump failure, and now the
  top end
  problems, to keep this bike. The ONLY plus to this, IF one could call
  it that,
  is that the dealer is willing to take my bike and knock off 5K on a new
  machine.
  They want $1500 for a full valve job and I'm pretty sure I'd have a
  hard time selling
  it with full disclosure of it's past. So, if someone's interested....
  I obviously have some thinking to do, but am not impressed by the new
  models, and the
  RS has changed enough that I'm not sure I'm interested.

  Thanks for any and all suggestions!

  Rob