Tires for 1150RT

Bob:

I also have had good luck with Bridgestone BT 020.   My new favorite is
Metzler's new Z6.   But unlike you, I ride every tight twisty out of the way
road I can find at a sporting pace when practical.    The Z6 has phenomenal
stick and will give about 8K miles on an RT.   I once got 10K on a set of
020s and they could have gone longer....still nice to ride on with good
turn-in etc.  They did look a litte shagged, but were working fine.  They
don't seem to react as strongly to being squared off from straight line
riding as other tires I've used.   Metzler Z4's in particular are really
nasty when the rear tire starts to develop corners on it.

If you're an interstate type of rider, the 020 is probably your best bet.
They're a bit lower priced than some of the other tires available as well.
They're very good in wet weather (as is the Z6).  Tread on the front 020 is
a little goofy and is prone to some noisy but non-harmful cupping on a small
corner of the tread pattern.   Just ride through it and you're fine.
They're great tires.   Rear 020 is probably the best tire around.   Wish
they'd fix this front tread pattern, but it's a small annoyance rather than
a big problem.

I wouldn't recommend using different brand / model tires on front and rear.
They're made to work together and there's not much of an advantage to mixing
and matching.   I've seen some real disasterous handling caused by
combinations recommended on the net.   010 on front and 020 on rear is one
combo...I don't like it...010 takes a long time to warm up and is a little
dicey in cold weather and before tread warms in normal conditions.

I've never tried the Michelins.  Some of the iron butt guys used to like
them, but I don't know if it was because of high mileage, belief in the
company brand or just that they were new.

I did try a set of Dunlop D220 and corded the rear tire in 5K miles...in
winter/early spring...almost no riding at temps above 75 degrees and a lot
of riding below 50.  This type of riding usually makes for very high
mileages.  I don't recommend the Dunlops at all.   I'm told that the first
D220s had problems...and that they improved them shortly afterward.   I'm
not trying them again to find out.  Heavy, expensive, didn't stick as well
as 020 or Z6 and tread wear was a joke.

- -TB