New RT

Steve & Clive:

I know discussions on styling are endless, a lot like discussions on tires,
but I'll say that the most successful fairing designs have stood up to
one-color for the whole bike schemes and look even better that way.    The
Ducati 996 is one of the prettiest bikes on the planet.  Compare it to the
Japanese sport bikes with all their silly graphics and multi color schemes.
They need that stuff because the shapes are lacking by themselves.   The Duc
has excitement in the shape and that's what makes it successful.

The Honda ST1300 makes three mistakes.   1.  It weighs 750 pounds...nearly
as much as the Gold Wing.   2. Too many phony "layers" created by this
flat-grey stuff on the bodywork.  3. Linked brakes, although they work
pretty well on a heavy bike like this one.

Stylists should be held to one color on the basic bike.  The R1100 RT is a
beautiful bike.  The 1150 RT is an improvement on that...difficult to do,
but I think they were successful, mainly because of the nicer wheels and the
headlight treatment.

I am bitterly disappointed in the new styling of BMW cars.  I think Chris
Bangle, an American, by the way, should be taken out and shot and then
fired.   BMW should publically apologize to their customers for their
indescresions and promise never to loose their way again.

The 1200 RT is overdone...undoubtedly because of the new influence from the
Banglists.  They've made the same mistake as Honda did on the ST1300.   Too
many shapes.  I think they panicked when the ST1300 came out and thought
they need to solve problems that weren't there.   I'm betting that this
overdone fairing works superbly, however.

Performance on both the RT and the 1200ST will be pretty wonderful.   I'm
really looking forward to that.   New trans will be interesting with the
"really short 6th gear"....I don't have a problem with the GS's long 6th.
That bike cruises effortlessly in 6th with almost no vibration.   What more
could one ask?

That "thing" on the tank is an offshoot of the 650 street version (strada?
I forget the name) idea with the bag inserts etc.  Another non-problem
solved.   I think it's a plot to corner the market on tank bags.   It won't
work, of course.   I expect the Big Mak people are already solving this
puzzle.   Hope so.

I really like the bags.  They have a family resemblance to the LT bags
except that the bike will look fine without them installed as well..  I
think they'll be more functional with fewer juts and contours inside the
bags and the mounting system will be less prone to breaking plastic hooks.
Looks like they'll hold a lot and they don't make the bike too wide like
those oversized system case shells do.

The new RT is to have semi-linked brakes.  That means that the rear brake
will be independent.  The front will be linked as before.   BMW is probably
doing the right thing in making the rear independent.  They've certainly
received a lot of flak from everyone about the rear brake.  In practice, it
really isn't a problem.

I've become accustomed to the fully linked servo brakes on my 1150RT.   I
changed the pedal linkage so I need to push much further on the pedal to
activate the brake and this works for me.  This rear brake is very grabby
and the extra travel helps me modulate better.   I only use rear brake when
I'm holding the bike on a hill or when my radar detector goes off.   The
hill holding situation doesn't matter and the radar situation actually
favors a linked pedal.   Bike slows RIGHT NOW when you wail on that pedal
and you can release before the cop gets around you in an oncoming situation.

So when all is said and done, I'm disappointed with the fragmented look of
the new RT, but I will buy one.

I love the new GS.  Spent several days wringing one out just like a
motorcycle journalist.  It's a huge step forward.

The RT description hints at a "readjusted balance shaft system".  I hope
this means that the RT will be smoother on acceleration than the 1200GS I
rode was.   It was very smooth in 6th at speed and while cruising in other
gears, but even mild acceleration made the bike vibrate quite a bit.  It was
disappointing at first, but after a couple day's riding I learned to ride it
a bit differently.  I felt that the hex head engine was better overall that
the oilhead 1150, even the twin-spark version, which is pretty good and
getting better since I've hit 20K on mine and go

One thing I think is a great advantage for safety is the two-bulb side by
side low beam headlight.  This creates "eyes" that grab the attention of
oncoming motorists.  They "see" you because of these "eyes".   the ST has an
over-under thing that will not offer this.   Wind and weather protection on
the 1200 ST looks like it may be better than the old RS.   I'm still leaning
toward the RT.  They're both going to be smashing bikes and the RT will be
comfortable as well.  No contest on a long trip.

BMW's policy of releasing photos and Euro sales of bikes one year before
they're available here is really tough on our dealers.    They're going to
have a very difficult time moving '04 and
05 bikes.   Good for us consumers, I guess, but it's really a shame for
them.

- -TB

- -TB

>Steve,
The more I look at all the photos I find it sort of growing on me but I'll
reserve judgement till I see it in the flesh.

>I am hoping that the lego look of the fairing has some practical
significance as well - such as: an "outside" mounted fuel filter / pump
assembly and, hopefully, a return to some sort of venting of the hot air off
the cooler away from the rider.

>Thought of the latter quite a bit yesterday on a ride in 36C (~100F) and
high humidity (on the R1100RT).  Placing my hand (in BMW vented gloves)
forward of the glovebox lid in the hot air stream just about scalded me
whereas in the riding position I was perfectly comfortable.  But then maybe
this does not worry you in Canada :)

>Regards
Clive Liddell