Re: 1200 RT

Jack Holloway <jackh233@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I heard that an American is now doing the design work on the bike, just
like
> there is one doing the cars.

Keep in mind that BMW's Californian design shop has been responsible for
their cars since around 1990. The 1990-97 generation 3 series was an early
example of what they can do. There is no doubt that BMW can make beautiful
vehicles. It's sad that they choose not to (IMNSHO).

As a somewhat informal data point, I seem to find a correlation between
younger folks and those who like BMW's new styling language. Guys I know who
are in their twenties and early thirties tend to like the current 5 and 7
series. Older farts like me (mid forties and older) seem to tend to
gravitate towards more classic forms and less trendy styling. Note my use of
the word "tend" does not imply uniformity in those observations.

FYI, I'm from the camp that feels BMW still makes great vehicles, except
that the style no longer appeals to my tastes. I'm exceedingly happy with my
current 3 pre-Bangle BMW vehicles.

- -Steve Makohin
 2001 R1100S/ABS
 Oakville, Ontario, Canada