Revards

Bruno, Robert:

Anyone who has the ability to talk candidly with a dealer will tell you that
it's a tough business.   BMW is very demanding of their dealers and they
don't do much to support them.    On the one hand, they insist on BMW only
dealership space, special signage, special fixtures and decorating etc.

Then, they put requirements on dealers that sell BMW rider clothing, which
also requires rather large minimum inventories and square footage.

BMW clothing is made well and is stylish, but designed in a rather backward
way, in my opinion.   Who wants to take off their entire riding suit to put
on a waterproof liner when it rains?  Even then, the outside soaks up water
and freezes you with evaporation.   They now, finally, make one suit that is
waterproof on the outside and just has an insulating liner, but it's not the
best looking thing they make at all.  I love the look of Savannah suits, but
I'll stay with my Darien when conditions are variable or a leather with a
rain suit or just my mesh jacket with a rain suit when its real hot out.
I've found these combinations work much better for me than the waterproof
inner liner type suits from BMW regardless of price.

Then, they shove inventory down the dealers throats while hinting at all new
models.   I've known about the hex head bikes for a couple years now.   When
the GS came out, it was not a surprise to anyone that the new RT, RS (ST)
and S would follow.   Is it any wonder that this year's sales have been
slow?   We're all waiting for the new bikes before making our decisions.   K
bikes must be really difficult to sell with the new K's coming out soon.

Now that the R lines have pretty much been shown, the reaction is very mixed
because of the edgy styling.    I'm confident that the capabilities of these
bikes will surpass any qualms about the styling.   Those that prefer the
1150s will be able to buy new or nearly new ones at a good price.  I love my
twin spark RT, but I'll be first in line to try on one of the new bikes

I'm not convinced that the new K bike is ready for the real world.    I'm
predicting reliability problems with this bike for a while.   I'll be
interested to see how it handles, how it deals with the problem of keeping
engine heat away from the rider and if they'll make any sort of sport
touring version of it with a decent riding position and weather protection.
My guess is that the RT, whether 1150 or 1200,  will remain my bike of
choice.   Hope there will be dealers around to sell them.

If BMW had any concerns for their dealers, they'd buy Revard's inventory
back to keep it off the market so their other dealers could survive.  I've
done my damnedest to support TagSport BMW in Geneva, IL.   I buy BMW
synthetic oil from them, Gerbings electric clothing, oil filters, whatever I
can from them because I want them to stay open.

I bought one of those BMW body temp black liners from TagSport at retail and
I don't feel bad about it...It's a nice thing to have because it doesn't
take much space and works great as an all day insulator down to about 45
degrees and up to about 70 or so with a leather and can be worn as a classy
outer jacket at night.  My wife steals it to wear with her street clothes
sometimes.   It's pretty stylish and very warm for such a lighweight thing.
Feels like foam under some sort of textile material.  Sleeves are unzippable
but I've never bothered.   This is a nice item...be on the lookout for it if
you go shopping at Revards.

Gee, I wonder what he wants for a 1200 GS?   I could use a new leather with
better armor....maybe a new rain suit?

- -TB