RE: Longevity etc.

On Dec 18, 2004, at 4:47 AM, Linda T. wrote:

> I'm planning two long trips next year on the RT and I'm wondering what
> I can
> do to prevent getting stuck out in BFE with yet another significant
> breakdown.  I know I'm going to replace the alternator belt before I go
> along with regular fluid changes, but I'm now officially worried about
> the
> reliability of this bike.

Linda, I don't think I would be too worried about future failures with
the RT out on the road.

The two major mechanical failures you mentioned could very well have
been related in some fashion: throw-out bearing and second gear.  If
you have confidence in the shop which made the repairs I would not
worry about or expect any further failures in that part of the drive
train.

With regards to your intermittent brake fault light it could be
something as simple as a marginal or bad brake light bulb or battery.
How old is your battery? Perhaps you should have it load tested.

As far as pre-trip maintenance changing the alternator belt, fluids and
filters is probably a good idea.  But, I would suggest that it all be
done well in advance of any trip.  You really want to give yourself
sufficient time to detect any problems due to the maintenance activity
and you want it done by people you know and trust.  Resist the urge to
just fix this one last problem right before you leave.

I have found that the mechanical problems I have experienced on long
trips have all been due to having maintenance performed by unknown and
unfamiliar dealers while on the road.  For example, in Spokane the bike
was down for two days to change the transmission oil because a dealer
broke an exhaust bolt trying to do the job when he couldn't find the
correct wrench to fit the drain plug.  A third day was wasted when I
had to ride the bike to the dealer's shop to complete the repairs.  In
Florida when the dealer performed the 12,000 service he didn't properly
seat the electrical connector to the top right sparkplug coil which
resulted in a really irritating and difficult to diagnose loss of power
at higher speeds.

So, my philosophy is to finish up any required maintenance, trouble
shooting, or add on goodie installation at least two weeks and 300
miles before I leave and to only do minimal emergency repairs if any
are necessary on a normal trip.  All the normal stuff, except for
tires, can usually wait until I get back.

Have some fun on your trips and don't worry about reliability.

cheers.... jack, '04 R1100SA, Waterford, Connecticut, U.S.A.