  From: Michael D. Ash
  To: oilheads@xxxxxxxxx ; oilheads-digest@xxxxxxxxx
  Cc: redlegduke@xxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Sunday, January 02, 2005 5:47 PM
  Subject: Ideas?? Quit in rain.

  All,

  I am looking for troubleshooting ideas.  This morning, my 1996 R1100RT (50k
  miles and running great) just quit 14 miles after startup while running in
  moderately strong rain.  It missed for a second, the tachometer gave a wild
  swing or two, and then the motor quit.  I coasted to the side of I-30 and
  fiddled with (jiggled) the kill switch, and side stand just for teh heck of
  it.  Thee engine will motor over just as normal with the starter, RID works,
  lights work, I can hear the fuel pump just as normal, ABS lights normal -
  but the damn thing will not start there on the side of the road.  I push it
  for ten minutes to a tire shop with an awning, pull the seat to check for
  anything obvious, fuses all good, battery connections tight, no burnt smell,
  nothing obvious.  After about an hour, it started for one second then died,
  I trucked it home, then after four hours it started for one second then
  died.  I've got it on the Battery Tender now.

  Any ideas?  Yes, I too suspect water in something, but specifically where?
  I've ridden this bike for hours in rain with not the slightest problem.  I
  have tools and much mechanical experience BFI i.e. Before Fuel Injection.

  Thanks in advance,

  Duke