Re: Ideas?? Quit in rain. (Clogged injectors)

In a message dated 1/3/05 12:13:14 PM Eastern  Standard Time, BeemerGary2
writes:
<<Realizing that clogged injectors  are rare, I would however like to let it
be known that it can happen. For me, it  was on my 1100GS with about 50K on
the clock. This was determined by the dealer  who was able to diagnose the
problem by replacing the injectors, and by process  of elimination, determining
that one injector was clogged.

The culprit  appeared to be a K&N air filter I had been running for 40K
miles. (I  switched back to, and have continued to use only OEM air filters in my
bikes  since then.)

About 10K later, the bike once again started running poorly,  in the same
manner previously caused by the clogged injector. Installing a new  throttle
cable resolved 50% of the problem. To resolve the remaining problem, I  ran a cou
ple of containers of STP Injector Cleaner (the black bottle) over the  next 4-5
tanks of gas. Problem solved, to my surprise and relief. (Injectors  cost
over $200 each.)

I now routinely run a bottle of STP Injector  Treatment (the white bottle)
between every oil change, pouring in 1/2 bottle per  tank beginning about 600
miles before the scheduled oil change to avoid having  this chemical spend too
much time in the crank case due to blow-by in the  cylinders. I follow this
same routine with my cars as well. At less than $2.00  per bottle, I consider it
to be cheap insurance.

I understand that a lot  of riders follow this same procedure using Chevron's
Techron Injector Treatment.  I'm not qualified to say one brand of injector
treatment or cleaner is better  than another. I can only say that STP worked
for me, and therein lies my  prejudice. Better Living Through Chemistry.
Naturally, YMMV.  >>

Gary-

First, you  can just post to the list. I see all those posts. Doubling the
post to me is  just duplication.

Second, the theory that the K&N  Air Filter caused a clogged injector is
flawed logic. The air that passes the  filter does no pass THROUGH the injector,
it passes over the tip of the  injector. If the air filter were actually
letting debris past (which is common  for K&N filters, so your decision to replace
with OEM was a good one). It  would only clog the injector PORT, not the nozzle
itself. Pulling the injector  to see the flow would not reveal a clogged
port, which would only be discernible  by removing the throttle body and squirting
cleaner through the port. These  ports DO get clogged with the residue of
fuel vapors, particularly on  low-mileage, decade-old bikes. They are easy to
clean. The Injector Cleaner  treatment, using either STP or Chevron Techron (I
prefer Techron) will clean the  ports somewhat, but a direct cleaning is better.

Also, your STP Injection Cleaner treatment is a good idea, but you are doing
it  way too frequently. If you keep it to one treatment annually you will be
fine,  unless you are riding in Mexico or remote reaches of Canada where
available fuel  stocks are of questionable cleanliness. Even then, the solvent
cleaners will NOT  remove rust, dirt and debris from the injection system. They
serve to dissolve  gum, lacquer or varnish, whatever you want to call the goo
that builds  up.

Regular replacement of your OEM  fuel filter is a very good idea, as is
testing fuel pressure at tach tune  up.

Tom Cutter