Parabellum

Pete:

I'm 5" with a 30" inseam...so short legs, long torso.   My windscreen
experience is with bikes other than yours, but there are some general
observations that will probably help you decide.

I've tried a lot of windscreens on RTs.  Because RTs have adjustable screen
angle, it's easier to make a screen work for you well, but some are better
than others.

 I've found that if they're too low, (stock) you've got to have them nearly
vertical for them to work and then they look sillly and push you in the back
with air pressure.  My first alternative screen was an Aeroflow.  It was the
older thin kind.   This screen was great and I used it for 4 years and about
60K miles then traded it in with my old bike.  It still worked great after
all those miles.

My first priority after buying the 1150 was replacing the screen.   I
decided to try Cee Bailey this time.   The first Cee Bailey screen was a
"Type 2" European version in a +6" height.  The profile of this screen is
much like the Parabellums, that is, curved about like the stock BMW screen
with extra height added.  I've found that too tall screens will buffet quite
a bit and have to be aimed very low.  They have a very wide"sweet spot" as
far as the angle is concerned.  The sweet spot, however, is mearly tolerable
and no angle is really quiet.  I sent this first screen back.  They were
very nice about it.   Great service from them.  I exchanged for a +4 / +4
"Type 3" screen.   It's shaped like an Aeroflow.   I like it the best for
general riding...not quite as nice as the old Aeroflow but, if you set it
right, it has a sweet spot that's very quiet and turbulance free....but a
lot of tire noise from the front wheel is reflected at the screen angle you
need for the turbulence.   Still, it's a good screen and the one I use most
of the year.

I do some winter survival riding, going on long trips around Thanksgiving
from Chicago and coming back in early December.   Sometimes, it get's very
cold.  I went out on a recent sunny Saturday...dry roads and 10F
temps....not for sissies!   The +2" width was not keeping my arms and
shoulder protected.   This is no problem in weather that sane people ride
in, but in extreme cold, I needed more.   I bought another screen just like
the above "Type 3, but with +4" in width.   It does a good job keeping me
warm, but is more prone to buffeting and never is really quiet.

The stock RT screen is a cruel joke in my opinion.  Once you've tried a well
designed larger screen, you won't be tempted to go back....at least on the
RT.

Before all this, I had an Aeroflow screen.  I think it was better than
either of my two.  It is my experience that Aeroflow really specializes in
BMW screens and does a lot of riding with them to test the screen designs.
They really seem to work.  Cee Bailey is an aircraft windshield maker who
saw a new market for their products.   They make good quality stuff and they
offer a huge variety, but I don't get the feel that they really go out and
perfect their designs, they just copy things and throw them on the website.
What you get is a lot of trial and error until you find something you like.
My best advice is to talk to the Aeroflow people about your particular bike
and ask them what you need.   Trying to save a few bucks on a windscreen
that you'll be intimate with for the next 4 or 5 years of riding is no
bargain.   I've got two acceptable shields for my bike and on unacceptable
one (the stock one).   I wish I'd bought Aeroflow again.

Although I don't have direct experience with your "R", I do know that the GS
windscreen system from Aeroflow is also very well designed and effective.
I have no attachments with any of the windscreen makers.  I'm just of the
mind that the right screen can make a huge difference in your riding
experience and one really well designed screen is worth more than two almost
right ones.

Further experience with a Ducati ST gave me another lesson.   The stock
screen was just high enough to push air into the bottom of my helmet making
it very loud.   I tried a taller "double-bubble" design, and it raised the
airflow about 2 inches, still aiming the blast straight into my helmet, so I
went with a low "sport" shield, which put the breeze down on my arms and
chest.   No more buffeting or extra noise.   It was no louder than riding a
naked bike.    This is the one I kept.   I had to clean bugs off my helmet,
but the noise was much more tolerable than with the stock screen and the
extra air served to support my torso during highway riding.

- -TB